BS EN 62852:2015+A1:2020 BS 8519:2020 Selection and installation of fire-resistant power and control cable systems for life safety, fire-fighting and other critical applications. Code of practice
BS 8519 specifies buildings that need to develop in terms of increased size height and complexity of active fire protection.
Who is BS 8519 - Selection and installation of fire-resistant power and control cable systems for?
BS 8519 on fire-resistant power and control cable systems is relevant to:
Regulators and enforcers including building control bodies
Health and safety inspectors
Why should you use is BS 8519 - Selection and installation of fire-resistant power and control cable systems?
Fire-resistant power and control cable systems across applications are vital to ensure safety and protection of property and human life in the event of a fire outbreak.
BS 8519 is beneficial for structures that need to maintain their circuit integrity during a fire as the function they support is critical for business continuity, property protection, or environmental protection reasons.
The guidance and recommendations on the selection and installation of fire-resistant power and control cable systems help users maintain circuit integrity for life safety and firefighting. Thus, BS 8519 ensures that the level of circuit fire integrity is not compromised by other components of the whole electrical distribution system, including cable glands, terminations, joints, and cable support systems.
What’s changed since the last update?
BS 8519:2020 supersedes BS 8519:2010, which is withdrawn. BS 8519:2020 has been revised and includes the following principal changes:
- Added recognition of other critical systems, other than life safety or fire-fighting applications
- Added information on uninterruptable power supplies (UPS)
- Added life safety and roof-mounted generator recommendations
- Added further detailed recommendations included in Clause 12 for the design and selection of the cable enclosure support systems
- Clause 12 revised to include the recommendation for internal and external fire stopping to maintain the switch room fire compartmentation and the need to cater for the thermal expansion of the cable protective enclosure
BS 8519:2020 Sel & Inst of Fire-resistant Cables
ISBN:978 0 580 51705 1