Metering systems are a key technology for the management of energy and environment services, and for cost allocation and resource efficiency of systems and subsystems in industrial and commercial applications. Good practice in the application of metering is fundamental to successful regulatory compliance, operational & resource efficiency and cost-saving. This entails appropriate design, specification, installation and integration of metering systems as well as suitable management oversight and responsibility.
Metering provides the technical underpinning for the measurement of energy and utility services and provides a key information source for organisations looking to apply cost saving, performance improvement and/or energy management activities at a plant, building or site level. Appropriate use of metering can therefore support asset owners/system operators as part of an overall asset management system.
- However, common issues can adversely affect the application of metering systems, including awareness of the purpose of metering (what needs to be managed?)
- understanding the meaning of meter data/meter readings (what needs to be measured?)
- ensuring fit-for-purpose meter system implementation (how to specify, install and use as appropriate?)
These issues could in turn prejudice the justification and success of follow-up cost-saving, performance improvement or energy management activities.
The guide details the key steps in applying metering systems from design and specification to technology selection, installation and commissioning, and finally, operation and maintenance along with the integration of metering data into reporting/management systems, to support the identification of cost-saving, energy management and resource efficiency measures.
Checklists for metering of key services (such as electricity, gas, water, heat) are also provided to support organisational policies, practices and procedures.
Key benefits of the guide:
- Outlines the role of metering within energy and environment management systems and resource efficiency strategies
- Highlights key process stages in the application of fit-for-purpose metering within the context of overall management systems
- Provides insight into end-use of meter data and key technical steps to enable safe and effective metering systems
IET Guide to Metering Systems: Specification, installation and use
Published - 2016
Format - Paperback
Extent (pp) - 96
Print ISBN - 978-1-78561-059-2
Author(s)/Editor(s) - IET